Friday, January 9, 2015

Reading: Questioning


Today we introduced our fourth reading strategy: Questioning. To demonstrate this strategy, I held a rock in my hand and invited the girls to examine it as they passed it to one another.  The girls were told the rock was very special. With very little prompting the girls asked many questions about the rock: “Where did you get it?” “Did your parents give it to you?”  “Is it from an important place?”   “How long have you had it?” “Did you inherit the rock?” Many of the questions asked encouraged additional questions.  I did not answer the questions. We then discussed how good readers ask questions before, during and after reading. I told the girls the rock will be like a book and I would be providing more information about it in the days to come. Of course, they will have lots of opportunities to ask many more questions.