Friday, January 30, 2015

Reading: Determining Importance

Today we introduced our fifth reading strategy: Determining Importance.  To help the girls understand the value of this strategy, we all sat in a large circle outside the classrooms. I told the girls I would be taking a walk this afternoon and needed their help in deciding what I should take with me.  They enthusiastically agreed! I dumped the contents of my purse on the floor and we went through each item. The girls decided the items I should take with me: a license, chapstick, a credit card, gloves, a hair tie, etc. They ruled out unnecessary items: a comb, lipstick, my wallet, a tape measure. I asked the girls to tell me how this activity is like reading. The girls quickly made a connection to determining important parts of a story.